Monday, June 16, 2014

Father's day plans get jacked up and then saved by....

A 5lb Banana Cream Pie!


To celebrate  my husband's first Father's day I had grand plans of breakfast, matching custom shirts, frolicking where ever he wanted to go, banners and door wreaths, dinner and dessert.

Then I'm told less than a week before he had to play in the worship band on Sunday.
And then we were flat broke because I had an emergency dental visit on my birthday.
CRAP.

So there went breakfast, matching custom shirts, banners and wreaths. If you know me, you know that I love decorating, I love baking, I love CELEBRATING. I was already in a grumpy mood when nothing happened on my birthday because MY plans of Ihop breakfast and my birthday Starbucks didn't happen because and old filling weakened my tooth enough to cause a piece of it to break off and fly out of my mouth while of all things I was FLOSSING!  On top of that, my husband had made no plans of his own for my birthday, no artwork or crafts, no cards or flowers, no planning ahead.I also knew that he was not planning something for the weekend (my birthday was on Wednesday) as we had an all day wedding to be in on Saturday, which included the rehearsal Friday night, and Sunday was his day. I know he is like this, I've always known but for some reason I had it in my head this year would be different because it was my first birthday with a child I'm parenting. I've longed for these days since I placed my first daughter for adoption, to make up for time lost. This is the way I think, not so for my husband. SO I was grumpy and upset. Which make planning for his first father's day hard. Luckily I already had the plan, so I was just grumpy getting it together.

But as the week drew to an end, I got over being grumpy and on Sunday, I was happy to make my man happy!

What I did go with was a modified plan of matching shirts as he now had to wear a nice shirt instead of the screen printed shirts I was about to have done for him and Selene. I had a button up shirt that matched one of his button up shirts and I remembered a pin on Pinterest of turning a father's shirt into a dress for a little girl.
Well, the one I made didn't quite turn out as cute as this one. I'm no seamstress. The arm holes got me! So I will not being doing a show of how to do it. It did turn out okay and was cute enough to get the job done!  I even made myself a matching headband to match "the twins".  I kept is a surprise, and just put a note to "wear me" on his shirt that matched the night before.
Twinsies!
Seriously, I call her "Little Papa with a bow"
She is his spitting image!



 The back/side view of the dress with the arm holes you could fit her head through!


All 3 of us matching Papa!

In the morning when I got up, I set out to make his special treat that I planned several months in advance (I even got a magazine that had what I was going to make him and wouldn't let him see it, so he wouldn't ask me to make it ahead of time). I didn't have long to make the pie, as Ty would be home soon to pick Selene and I up in between sets and I still had to shower. Thankfully it doesn't take me long to shower.

Banana Cream Pie
CRUST:
  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 3 oz butter, melted
  • 3 TBS sugar
CUSTARD/PIE FILLING:
  • 3/4 cup + 3TBS sugar
  • 1/2 cup + 2 TBS cornstarch
  • pinch of salt
  • 5 cups milk
  • 7 egg yolks, beaten
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 3-4 bananas
  • 4 TBS orange juice
 WHIPPED CREAM:
  • 1 pint Heavy cream
  • 2 TBS sugar
  • 2 TBS vanilla
FOR THE CRUST: combine all ingredients together and press into bottom and sides of a pie plate. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes, set aside. Or cheat and buy a premade shell.

FOR THE CUSTARD: In a sauce pan, mix the sugar, salt and cornstarch together. Add the milk and yolks. Heat over medium, constantly stirring so as to not cook the yolks, till it boils, then cook 1 minute more. It will be thick. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
Slice bananas and coat with orange juice. The amount of bananas needed depends on you and your pie plate. Drain juice from the bananas.
Pour about 1/3 of the custard into the baked pie shell. add 1/2 of the sliced bananas, pour another 1/3 of the custard over the bananas to cover and add another layer of the rest of the bananas on top, and cover again with the rest of the custard. You want all of the bananas covered.
Chill in fridge for an hour, then cover in plastic wrap for at least another 3 hours or until ready to serve. When ready to serve make the whipped cream and pipe a nice design to cover the top. I piped about 3 layers to give it a nice tall height.

FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM:
In a chilled mixer bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks form, add the sugar and vanilla and continue to whip till you have stiff peaks. DO NOT OVER MIX! or you know, cheat and buy whipped cream in a can only if you are serving this pie in its entirety when you top it with whipped cream (as the canned stuff only stays whipped for a few minutes.... don't get me started on cool whip... you know what, just go ahead and make your own and be TRANSFORMED!





Yes, that is 5lbs of pure deliciousness
and
1 happy Papa!


So he got to enjoy twinsies, lunch, a 2 hour nap, a clean home while he napped, a homemade dinner  while watching a movie, and an epic pie. He had a GREAT DAY!

Happy First Father's Day my love!


No comments:

Post a Comment