Saturday, August 17, 2013

Sweet Sweet Selene

     I know I'm not good at all at keeping up with this blog, and for those that are interested in it, I'm sorry!

     This pregnancy was a rough one compared with C. Maybe because I'm a little older (oh my, I'm pushing 30... eeekk!) or maybe its because C's pregnancy needed to be easy with all the other hard crap I had to deal with; who knows. Emotionally, I was doing well until the last week and then all the fears I had with C came flooding back, but I was prepared for them, so that helped. Also the day after I had this new bundle of cuteness I got a text from K that they told C I had the baby and she responded with "She did?! You mean I have a little sister now?" and she threw her arms up in victory! I broke down sobbing. That is what I was praying for but dared not to hope that C would think of her as a little sister and love her. That also helped any anxiety I was having of C feeling replaced.



     Selene was born almost 2 weeks ago now and is absolutely gorgeous (I'll post photos on here later when I feel more comfortable posting on a site that I can't control who sees them), so gorgeous that all the nurses dragged others into the room just to see her!

     Its been a good 2 weeks though very busy with moving the week before I had her, to in-laws the first week and then this past week with VBS baking for my church (I thought I'd at least have a 3 week old and healed a little more when I was asked to lead, instead I had a one weeker, doh!). I HIGHLY suggest listening to the advice and doctor's orders of taking it easy as I feel very rundown now, but hey I never let things heal properly, why change that now?!

     As I mentioned, we moved a week before she was born, so I had no time to nest and get her room ready. We did get the keys to our new place the day before we had help to move so we could paint. So of course we painted the nursery a pretty aqua color. I'm still working on all the details I want to add, all the little hidden bits of geekery. But for right now it is just basically a "Paper Moon" themed room. Not the movie, I have yet to see that funny enough, but an old jazz song that has many versions, but I'm fond of Ella Fitzgerald version.

     To start off with, I bought a roll of white vinyl at a craft store and had a friend help me cut out the wall quote with her Cricut. We did it wrong of course as her husband pointed out when he got home as we were cutting out the last 2 words. Oh well, more work for me, but not too bad. I probably put it up on the fresh painted wall too soon, but it is still sticking up there (got to go over it with my hair dryer still, to help the pieces that are peeling off)

 The More You Know:
masking tape helps for lining if you don't put it up crooked to begin with >.<

     Part of the song talks about a canvas sky hanging over a muslin tree, so I made the muslin tree. I took a large box and lined out a tree, then I cut it out with a box cutter. 


 Some parts were floppy, so I hot glued strips of cardboard over the creases to help give it stability.


      Next I took cheap muslin fabric and cut them into long strips, hot glued one end down and just wrapped the branches first like a mummy. Then I cut wider striped and wrapped the trunk the same way. I was in a rush to finish it the hour before her newborn photos, so I forgot to take more progress photos.

Be careful when exhausted from a night owl newborn, or else you'll end up with 3 blisters, multiple burns and a few cuts from the fabric rotor cutter like myself. ouchies. I put blood, sweat and tears into this room already!

     The final touch was hanging up a white paper lantern, picked up from a local party store, as the paper moon.

TADA!

     So this is it for now on her room until I get the other items needed (twinkle lights hung from the ceiling with a TARDIS flying through, Totoro sitting on a branch in other corner of her room, flying keys as her mobile and then gotta find something subtle for Papa's Pokemon addiction)

     If you haven't guessed yet, the song "It's only a Paper Moon" is basically set on a stage and the props are fake. I want her to dream big and have an imagination and for her to know we will always be behind her supporting her in whatever she chooses, that we believe in her so why not start young?! lol plus its just super cute! 

      Well, that is it for now, just had to give a small update and share the cuteness of her room!


No comments:

Post a Comment